The blog of a dedicated radio amateur and electronics enthusiast

"Having fun on the air and in the workshop - communicating and creating"

27 January 2018

Class C transmit amplifier for the 630m MF band

I continue to try different amplifiers in order to improve my station for weak signal digital modes, such as JT9 and WSPR, on the 475KHz, 630m band.
unboxed prototype amplifier with space left for antenna relay
The amplifier posted here is a medium power, and physically small, two IRF640N mosfet class C design. I designed the amplifier so that the 13degC/W heatsinks would provide adequate cooling for up to 50 watts output power when run from a 54Vdc power supply, while still retaining the compact size. With 2.5W drive power at the input, I measured 33W output power, ( gain 11.2dB ).  This was deliberate because at that power level, the optimum mosfet drain load is almost 50 Ohm; so I avoided the need for any output matching circuit. It will be interesting to see what I can achieve on digital modes now.
antenna change-over circuit added (lower-right)
Using it for the first time yesterday evening, my WSPR beacon transmission was received at a record distance 1655kms in France, and I was rewarded with a JT9 digital mode contact with Scotland at a similar distance.
 finished amplifier in home-made enclosure
 
3 February 2023
I received a request from a radio amateur in the USA ( Jeff, callsign WB8RJY ) for the circuit diagram, as he wanted to construct the amplifier. A few days later Jeff sent me several pictures of his completed amplifier, and a summary of his WSPR activity using the amplifier detailing some very long distance reception reports.
amplifier built by WB8RJY based on my design


 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do I get a schematic for this little amp showing values of resistors,capacitors etc? plus , toroid type and number of turns. I want to build one of these and experiment with it on 630m.

CX8AT EME said...

Hi Steve

Could you share the circuit and components of the 630m amplifier?

Best regards

Al, CX8AT
cx8at.eme@gmail.com
cx8at@adinet.com.uy