The blog of a dedicated radio amateur and electronics enthusiast

"Having fun on the air and in the workshop - communicating and creating"

24 March 2010

My Russian toys


Though not dolls, there is nevertheless a progressive increase in size.
They are Russian made high power triode tubes, ( thermionic vacuum tubes, valves ), ideal for use in VHF/UHF transmitter power amplifiers, and significantly cheaper than western alternatives.
So, from L - R, the ones I have are type GI46B, GS31B and GS35B; in each case the suffix 'B' denotes tube variant suitable for forced air cooling, with or without the finned anode cooler. ( An 'A' here would mean water-cooled ).
The GS31B is a spare in case the one in my 50MHz amplifier, ( see post of 25th Jan, 7.23pm ), fails one day.
I am currently building an amplifier for 144MHz using the GS35B.
I haven't decided what to use the GI46B for yet. If I can obtain a second one, then making an amplifier for 432MHz using both tubes with their outputs combined would be an interesting construction project.

No comments: