The blog of a dedicated radio amateur and electronics enthusiast

"Having fun on the air and in the workshop - communicating and creating"

12 May 2010

The 500 watt amplifier under cover


This is the same amplifier that I posted here on 25th January, and used to such good effect during my radio contacts with the Balkans mentioned yesterday. It occurred to me that if I am going to use it frequently, perhaps even every day, over the next few weeks, then I had better carry out some maintenance on it.
So today I disconnected it, removed its covers, cleaned the airways and checked that all the mechanical connections were secure. These can work loose in time owing to thermal cycling, and several needed further tightening.
With the bottom cover temporarily removed there was a rare opportunity, not to be missed, to take a picture. Pictures of the equipment I build are actually very useful to refer to if I want to make any changes, and are not just for blogging purposes of course.
To give an idea of the amplifier's size, it measures 50cm x 25cm x 25cm ( w x d x h ). Regarding it's weight; suffice to say that it's almost too heavy for me to carry !

No comments: