The blog of a dedicated radio amateur and electronics enthusiast

"Having fun on the air and in the workshop - communicating and creating"

17 September 2010

SMD soldering success

I have used the tools and materials described in my posting on 20th August to solder successfully in place the frequency synthesiser chip, ( encircled in the picture ); an amazing result, considering it was the first SMT component I had ever attempted to solder, ( since being properly equipped ), and I had only 'perfected' my technique on a scrap piece of circuit board a few moments earlier !
The chip is Analog Devices Inc. 50MHz CMOS complete direct digital synthesiser type AD9835 which measures 5.1mm x 4.5mm and has 8 connection pins on each of the two longer sides to be soldered.
The mixture of 'through hole mounted' components and SMD on the same board is convenient and acceptable for prototyping. With this first SMD soldering success behind me I shall, in time, convert the circuit board completely to SMT in a future version.
Now let me see if the code I have written, ( see 17th May ), to control the chip will actually get it to do what I want.

No comments: