The blog of a dedicated radio amateur and electronics enthusiast

"Having fun on the air and in the workshop - communicating and creating"

29 November 2010

Four on longwave

Most weekends, except in summer, I am transmitting my radio signal on longwave, ( 2190m / 137.7KHz ), and hoping someone will reply. Usually my signal goes unanswered as no one else is about; but last night Marek, a Polish radio amateur, callsign SP2OVY, from near Gdansk, called me. I had never received his signal before. So I assume that he has only recently begun to transmit on longwave. To my knowledge there are now 4 Polish stations, including myself, who have transmitters for the 2190m band; though I am aware of a few others who monitor on receive only. Two years ago I was the only one active on longwave in Poland. So the numbers are gradually increasing.
The distance between Marek and me is only 277kms; but I was happy my signal made it that far as snow on my antenna had significantly detuned it. We had a successful 2-way contact, ( report "O" bothways ), ending in the early hours of this morning.
The screen capture shows his slow morse ( QRSS ) signal to which I have added the letters; of course 'E' and 'N' were the following two letters on the next screen capture, ( not shown ).
I am still using the same home-made transmitter and antenna which I featured on the blog on 25th January and 19th February.

No comments: