The blog of a dedicated radio amateur and electronics enthusiast

"Having fun on the air and in the workshop - communicating and creating"

20 January 2023

CCS811 VOC & CO2 Gas Sensor

Until just recently I was using analogue gas sensors, ( see previous post 16 January ). I have now turned my attention to digital gas sensors, from which the measurement data are already in digital form.
I am experimenting with the CCS811 sensor which has a I2C digital interface, ( 2-wire bus, clock and data only ). The CCS811 measures the concentration of CO2 ( carbon dioxide ) and TVOC ( total volatile organic compounds, which become a gas at room temperature ) in the air in ppm and ppb respectively which would be useful in giving an indication of air-quality in a closed workshop environment.
I connected an ESP32 micro-controller development board to the CCS811 circuit board and also to a I2C 128x64px blue OLED display in the corner of an already densely populated solderless breadboard.
( top-left) Mauve coloured CCS811 circuit board
The measurement results being displayed were obtained in my basement workshop. There is an established air-quality index called the 'TVOC Index' which is derived from the TVOC ppb concentration. Ppb between 0 & 220 corresponds to a TVOC Index of between 0 & 50 and an 'Index Category' of 'Good' air quality. I am pleased as I spend a lot of time in the basement.
 
I2C = Inter Integrated Circuit
ppm/ppb = parts per million/billion
  

No comments: