The blog of a dedicated radio amateur and electronics enthusiast

"Having fun on the air and in the workshop - communicating and creating"

12 August 2011

Wire in the sky


I have erected a new antenna in readiness for the restart of my radio activity on the 136KHz 2190m longwave band during the coming autumn and winter season; simply a 45.9m long wire, and a number of bare copper conductors buried in the ground directly below. The wire is supported at the mid point by a fibreglass pole, and a spring counter-weight ( see inset ) running through a pulley tied at the highest point I could reach to a tree at the far end.
The (in)famous loading coil, ( posts dated Feb 19th & Sept 13th 2010 ), will still have to be pressed into service; but fortunately it will be installed inside my radio room. What a huge relief that I will no longer have to use the coil outdoors or carry out frequent maintenance on it inspite of the snow and ice, as with the previous antenna !
My last attempt to put up a different antenna for long wave was in 2009. It was a much more complex design, both electrically and mechanically, requiring 'miles' of wire. It would have been an excellent performer. Sadly it never came to fruition, being blown down / away four times during summer thunder storms before I had even finished building it. There was an important lesson to be learnt from that ! It's better to have a simple antenna than no antenna.
While the performance of the new antenna will be inferior to the one I didn't complete, it should out-perform the last operational one.

No comments: