The blog of a dedicated radio amateur and electronics enthusiast

"Having fun on the air and in the workshop - communicating and creating"

23 November 2012

New antenna for 80 metres goes up


Surprisingly, the weather recently has been suitable for me to work on antennas. So even this late in the year I had an opportunity, not to be missed, to erect a new antenna for the 80m band; a base-loaded vertical wire element supported by a Spiderbeam heavy duty 12m long telescopic fibre-glass pole. The pictures show the antenna base with loading and matching coil inside the storage container, and the antenna's location.
I have just made my first contact on the 80m band using this antenna with a radio amateur in southern Spain, 2463kms away. My transmitter output power was only 35 watts. The antenna's performance could be worse !

No comments: