The blog of a dedicated radio amateur and electronics enthusiast

"Having fun on the air and in the workshop - communicating and creating"

10 February 2013

Chirp-Hell on longwave





On 14th November 2012 I reported success with the tests on the work-bench of the improved ssb phasing exciter for my 2190m longwave transmitter. Soon after that I installed it inside the transmitter enclosure. Since then I had been waiting for an opportunity to test it using full transmitter power into my antenna in a real 'on-air' situation, with a more distant receiver. 
So early this morning at about 1.00am I carried out transmission tests with Jacek, SQ5BPF, in Warsaw. My signal was quite readable on his grabber; screen captures above. The noisy band conditions at his location are also very evident.
I was transmitting on 136.9KHz upper sideband, modulating with 800-810Hz chirp-hellschreiber audio tones. Transmission speed was either 5 or 10 secs/character; the vertical markers are 1min apart. We then completed a chirp-hell to qrss1 cross-mode contact; quite obscure, so it's probably the first time ever it has been done !

No comments: